Sunday, June 7, 2009

Just another glorious day in the Cape...

I woke up this morning so very nervous and amped.  Today was the day I was to jump out of an airplane!  I got into the lobby to meet the group and our cab driver - only to find out that our skydiving had been cancelled for the third time due to bad weather.  I was nearly in tears.  (Sorry Mom - but it has been cancelled indefinitely, so no worries.)  I had no idea what I would do with my day since I figured anything else would just be a let down and nowhere close to free falling for 12,000 feet.  

*I was wrong!  Not only did I have the most incredible day - but the weather (after this morning)  was magnificent.  My friend Alex and I decided to conquer Table Mountain together.  The hike was several miles around - mostly straight up - and it took us about two hours.  It was well worth it - the views were incredible!  

The very beginning!



Waterfall on the way up...


Both Mountains!


Alex - my hiking buddy!


One of the views on the way down...


Cable cars that we passed on the way down...

Cape Town from the mountain...

*After our hike we ate lunch on the top of the mountain at the restaurant.  We met and ate with the Irish Rugby team who was in town for several matches.  We also met some students from Emory.  After lunch and an Irish coffee we headed down the mountain in a cable car and headed to the waterfront.  Alex wanted a safari hat!  We shopped around for a bit and then saw Angels and Demons at the movie theatre.  I loved it.  I highly recommend it.  I climbed a mountain,  ate with the Irish Rugby team, and saw a Tom Hanks movie - all in Cape Town on one of the most gorgeous days we've had.  <3.


Man limbo-ing under a fire pole at the V&A Waterfront.


The beautiful Waterfront harbor.

Waterfront with Table Mountain behind it - we had climbed it just a few hours before.

Tomorrow morning, at 5:30 AM, our group is flying to Jo'Burg and then driving six hours to Kruger safari park.  We will be staying there Monday - Friday and seeing the big five - lions, buffaloes, cheetahs, giraffes, and elephants.  There will be others too!  We are sleeping out in the bush one night in tents... should be interesting.  I can't wait!  

No comments:

Post a Comment