Tuesday, June 23, 2009

On the road in Kenya

Kenya is the most incredible place.

I can't even begin to tell you about the heaven that is Kenya. We haven't yet reached our village because it is so far - they are breaking it up for us - kind of like the garden route road trip. It's amazing but I'm ready to be settled there in Chepnyal and get plugged in with the people rather than meeting folks and leaving them the next day. They tell us we are making a difference but it will be nice to stay in the same place and see progress.

Highlights so far:
Getting locked in a room with claustrophobic Brittany. I was laughing so hard I was in tears and she was just in tears. Then a cat brought a mouse into our house and as I'm taking pictures she's freaking out. Hilarious. Sammy our driver has killed us almost ten times. But he's a trip. Babboons everywhere. People use donkeys for transportation and moving water. Guys on bicycles hold on to the backs of semis to get places faster. The "police" stand on the streets with assault rifles. Apparently they're all corrupt and take bribes. A boy was walking down the street with a machetti the size on my leg and saw me looking at him and sneared at me. The nuns everywhere we stay are absolutely hilarious. They're all from Ireland and sound like Mrs. Doubtfire (even though she was English - don't ask) - they take away all homesickness because they're like grandmas. The children's happiness is infectious. I went and played futbol with the boys - they hadn't seen a girl who could play (soccer) so I was a hit for a while. It's nice doing dishes by hand for a change - I try to do them every day because it's the least I can do. Everyone asks if I know Obama - everyone calls him cousin bc he is of kenyan descent. I love it. I got in a cage with a rhino and pet him. I did the same with a cheetah. Oh and a lion too. I was attacked by a leopard - through a fence - I jumped and got laughed at by the workmen. A lot. It's funny at meals - when people have their backs turned Brittany scrapes most of her food on my plate and I eat it. So, she's buying me new jeans when we get back. The slums here are nothing like Cape Town - they make Cape Town look like royalty. I saw children going to the bathroom on the front porch of their school. ("School"). The people of Chepnyal are excited for us to arrive. Starting Friday we are climbing eight hours up the mountain to live in huts for the weekend and bring the people food, water, etc.

On the road for twelve hours more.


Missing my family and friends but feeling so fortunate to be here and see this part of the world. I only wish you all could be here too.

Ps. Coca Cola and Nike are everywhere!

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Love the rapid-fire details.
    EJ

    ReplyDelete