Friday, June 19, 2009

Second to last day. And. SKYDIVING!

We woke up this morning for our last morning meeting - we had to fill out evaluations and vote for the Global Lead council.  They had inspirational things to say encouraging us to keep in touch and continue service back in the states.  After our wrap up meeting we all headed to the beach for a group photo -- today was gorgeous so the picture is beautiful.  Since today was so gorgeous it made a perfect day for skydiving! (Sorry Mom and Dad!)  I went with a group of 12 other Global Lead students -- we were so excited because they've rescheduled us five times due to weather.  Today was absolutely perfect but I was absolutely terrified.  TERRIFIED.  I don't like to fly - much less am I fond of heights - so I never thought I'd be jumping out of a plane.  I asked the group I was with if they'd mind if I went on one of the first jumps... simply so I wouldn't be able to back out.  They agreed and after we all signed our waivers - Brittany and I decided to go second.  They offered to film and photograph us but none of us had cash and they didn't take cards so the only documentation I have is what I took with my own handheld camera.  I took video during all of my free-fall and then turned on my camera for the parachute ride for a bit and then I turned to my still shots for the scenery and then switched back to video for the landing.  I'm really upset with myself because I took fairly good video of my instructor and me but I didn't take a still shot - that's my only regret.  But.  Skydiving is by far the best thing I've ever done and I'd do it again in a heart beat.  Blake, my instructor, was incredible.  I told him how afraid I was before we got in the plane and he was very reassuring about how he would take good care of me.... I literally almost couldn't stand and was on the verge of tears as we waited for the prop plane to land so we could board and take off.  This is definitely the smallest plane I've ever been in.  There was room for only 6 of us - we were seated on the floor - right behind the controls and next to the door..... There was duct tape holding certain pieces in place but I'm not joking when I say I felt completely safe in the plane.  It was so smooth -- and I would have paid the entire fee just to get to go up in the plane because they flew us all over Cape Town and out over the water before the jump since it took 15 minutes to reach 9,000 feet which is where we jumped from.  I asked Brittany if I could go first since I was afraid if I saw her go I'd be reluctant -- that put me in the hot seat -- right next to the door but I was brave and sat up on my knees the whole time to look over the side for the views.  When it came time for Blake to strap us in completely because we were at 9,000 feet I got a little nervous but not too bad.  He had previously warned me that the worst part is when the pilot opens the door.  I saw the pilots hand move to the handle --- and all of a sudden there was loud engine noise, a burst of freezing wind and wide open spaces.  At that point I was just ready to JUMP!  I wasn't scared at all.  I completely trusted Blake.  I scooted with him to the edge of the plane - tucked my feet under the side of the plane, turned my video recorder on and then he pushed us off.  At the very, very beginning during your tumbling out of the plane you do lose your stomach briefly... once you stop tumbling and you are laying flat in free fall you just feel as though you are floating - it was incredible.   We fell for 30 seconds and then Blake pulled our chute and we had a beautiful five minute ride down.  I want to skydive everywhere I go!  
Tonight was cool as well - we had a farewell banquet - they gave out superlatives - had speeches and we all ate yummy food.   Early tomorrow morning I'm hiking Lion's Head, going to Robben Island and then seeing a show... last night in Cape Town! :(!  
(I'm really sad that Georgia Theatre burned down today... I'm keeping everyone involved in my thoughts... No worries, Ath fest will most definitely go on.)   
Love you all.
PS.  I want to be a skydive instructor.  No joke.

Global Lead Cape Town 2009.  Table Mountain in background.


Getting geared up in the hanger...


Blake, my instructor, putting my harness on.  I made him promise me that I had the best and most reliable harness and parachute.  I couldn't have had a sweeter guide... he was so gentle and kind which is exactly what I needed to get my fanny into the plane.


Here's Blake!

This is me behind Brittany walking on the runway to our plane.  It was TINY.  No turning back now...

Our pilot...  he wasn't very friendly but he got us up there safely so I have no complaints.

I knew they wouldn't be happy so I figured I'd send them a message... I also thought I'd be able to do this in the air but since I took my own footage it didn't quite work out. :)


On the way up to 9,000 ft -- this is at about 3,000 ft over the sand dunes.


Even higher here -- we're reaching the coast -- we turned around over the water and then headed back to the landing pad.

This I actually shot during my jump... Table Mountain in the middle of the pic - Robben's island is the island you can see to the right of the photo.  What a view!

This is Brittany below me -- I took this while we were both on the way down!



I sat on the landing pad and took photos of all my friends coming in since I finished early -- this is Jordan!

Here's Blakeny...

We survived!

Our entire group after we were finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment