Friday, June 12, 2009

Monday June 8

Adventure Week! Monday - Friday in Kruger National Park! 
Third official week of Global Lead!
Monday -
Today we had to be on the busses at 5:30 to leave for the airport.  We were sleepy but excited for the trip. After grabbing breakfast we headed out to the jetway to board our plane to Joburg.  (This was a practice round for me since I'll be flying back into Joburg on the 21st of June on my way to Kenya).  Boarding planes here is unique - they pick you up in a bus at your gate and ride you out to the plane where you board by staircase.  We flew in an obnoxious orange airplane on the Mango airline. Two hours and one Bloody Mary later I was in Joburg!  We then boarded a bus to ride 6 hours to Kruger National Safari Park.  The park is world renowned and especially known for its sightings of the Big Five - Lions, Leopards, Elephants, Buffalos, and  Rhinos.  They're called the big five because they are the five most dangerous animals to approach on foot.

Anyway!  Kristy and I shared a tent/cabin and after everyone was checked in we enjoyed our first of many all inclusive meals in the restaurant.  After dinner, I went to my neighbor's (Carter and Lia) to try and help them get settled.  In the mean time, I found a tarantula on their deck.  They screamed.  I took a photo.

 We went to bed early so we could make our 4:30 wake up call the next morning.  I had been asleep for three hours when Eric and others banged on our walls at midnight pretending to be wild animals.  HILARIOUS.  Right.  


Mango Airline's specialty is seeing how fast they can land the plane.  Everyone in our group jokes about the fact that they refuse to slow down before landing.  Even the people who love to fly talked about how rough the landing was -- both times we flew mango.  Also, isn't it funny how you board the large commercial plane using the staircase?



Home Sweet Home -- these are the tent/cabins we stayed in -- I say tent/cabin because they had wooden walls with tent flaps -- you could sleep with the tent flaps up.  


Beds!

Outdoor showers --  they were amazing!
A big group of us at dinner the night before our safari!


No comments:

Post a Comment